A number of factors resulted in the crowning of the Rajasthan Royals as the Champions of the Indian Premier League 2008.
- The Franchise owners - Emerging Media. They were the only owners who had prior experience of managing a team in a 20-20 cricket competition.
- The Auction. Each player was picked with a role in mind unlike other franchises that went for big names.
- The Captain. The only non-Indian captain in the league and one who had experience of captaining first class sides (Hampshire) and turning them into a succesful unit.
- The Coach. The captain was appointed as the sole leader of the pack.
- The Team. Each player was assigned roles by Shane Warne and they all delivered.
- Allround Skills. Shane Watson and Yusuf Pathan showed how valuable allround skills can be in 20-20 cricket.
- Pep Talks. There probably isn't a better master at that than Shane Warne who made every player believe that they are the best in what they do.
These are all the factors that have been talked about over the last month as the ones that have contributed towards the success of the Royals.
Was it all this or was it just luck?
They were the least favoured team by the bookies and by the cricket experts when the competition began.
They were the underdogs who turned into favorites as the competition went on.
Yet they defied all the odds and won the inaugral Indian Premier League competition.
For me there was one and only one reason.
It is that man who made it possible.
Rock on Rajasthan Royals - hope to see you next year!